International cell phone plans for vacation is a terrific idea to make sure you keep in touch with your friends and family. Whether you are going sunbathing on one of the beaches of Varadero, Cuba, or spending your Christmas Eve skiing in Davos, Switzerland, the global carriers offer the best cell phone options for international travel, ensuring high-quality connectivity in most destinations. You can choose between prepaid and postpaid plans as per your convenience.
Prepaid International Phone for Vacation VS Postpaid Phone Plans
Most international carriers offer prepaid packages, which are more convenient compared to the postpaid option. However, there are pros and cons to both the categories.
- Postpaid phone plans give you a certain level of flexibility and freedom in terms of how you distribute your resources for calling and data. You can easily switch between the plans without having to wait for a billing cycle to end. However, for international roaming, such plans have their disadvantages. In case you don't know the roaming charges in different zones and the pricing for data, you may face trouble with your monthly bill, which may be way higher than your estimate. If it is not your fault, you can dispute the bill.
- Prepaid phone plans with international roaming give you a fixed number of minutes and GBs to spend for a certain time period for a set price. You will know in advance how much time you have to speak with your friend while lying on the beach or how many episodes of your favorite TV show you can watch via Mobile Internet. And thus, it secures you from the unexpected unpleasant surprises of postpaid bills. But you have to recharge it or let the provider bill you automatically. Plus, there are cases of exceeding limits even with the prepaid option. For example, you carrier may let you finish the call even if you run out of minutes.
So, if you are a heavy traveler, we would recommend choosing a prepaid plan with a sufficient (even more than you usually spend) number of minutes and GBs in order not to get into trouble with postpaid surprises.
How To Choose the Best Mobile Plan for International Calls?
Here are the main features to take into consideration when choosing a mobile plan for international calls.
- Type of plan. Choose a suitable billing method: postpaid or prepaid. To keep your communication-related expenses low, check prepaid plans you can easily recharge.
- Coverage. How many countries are covered by the global provider of your choice? Is the country you're heading to or plan to visit on that list?
- Total number of minutes. How many minutes does the package allow you to spend on talking (if you choose a prepaid option)? This is a vital point if you are planning to talk a lot over the phone during your vacation.
- Cost per minute. It can vary from country to country. Check the pricing in advance to avoid excessive roaming costs.
- Additional features. If you need data, check how many GBs your package includes as well as what Internet speed the provider promises in your destination country. Sometimes, carriers provide additional entertainment options, such as streaming subscriptions, HD video streaming and so on.
Overview of the Best Vacation International Calling Plans
We gathered the best overseas mobile plans for calling in one article. Check them and find the one that fulfils your requirements the best!
- International SIM Card packages
- Working with 200+ countries
- Free incoming calls in over 118 countries
- Outgoing calls at $0.18 per minute
- Free UK and US mobile numbers
- Ability to add Data Bundles
- Universal SIM, Expedition, Europe&More packages
- Call and text in 200+ countries
- Free incoming calls in over 130 countries
- Outgoing calls at $0.29 per minute
- Free EU and US mobile numbers
- Global Data+ Plan, Global Data Lite Plan, UK-US Calling Plan
- VIP plans with unlimited options
- Roaming in 220+ countries
- Outgoing calls at $0.20 per minute
- Unlimited social media networks and messengers
- Free 2 mobile numbers